The pressure to do so much for our physical and mental health can be stressful. If you’re in a world of endless busyness or feeling really low on energy, you may be finding it hard to make time to do things to take care of yourself during the working day.
When we feel tired and overwhelmed, it’s important to keep things simple. Even small things can make a big difference to how you feel. To build resilience, focus on taking a few moments to be present and doing things to raise your energy levels as often as you can.
Choose one of these 10 things to try in any gaps or stressful periods during your day. They each take less than 2 mins:
- Close your eyes and take 3 deep breaths
- Walk around the room or your house. A walk is great for our wellbeing but it doesn’t always have to be a walk outside. Be inspired by these indoor walking ideas.
- Drink a glass of water
- Send an emoji or GIF to a friend. Connecting with people is key to raising our social energy.
- Smell something good. Choose whatever works for you – could be a candle, perfume, coffee.
- Tidy up your desk. Take a moment to declutter and get rid of any rubbish or distracting things.
- Dance to your favourite song.
- Stare out the window. Step away from your devices and just rest your eyes outside.
- Stretch. Lift your shoulders up to your ears and down. Look to your left and to your right. Look up and look down.
- Bring nature into your workspace. This could be a pot plant, photos on your wall or a nature shot on your screen.
What quick things work for you? Let me know.
Read more about how managing your energy could work for you.
Sign up to #WalkWednesday – a weekly invitation to wander, be present and ponder.
Too often we treat overworking and feeling stressed as something normal and acceptable. Let’s try working in ways that are productive yet also good for ourselves and those around us. If you or your team want to feel less stressed, more confident and ready to embrace change, these Coaching Conversations and Resilience Walks are for you.
(Post updated 21/10/21)